Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Church Fathers - day 6 and 7 - Magnesians and Trllians and Smyrna, Oh My!

I've had a busy few days and am behind a day in reading the Church Fathers for the 40-day program.

I have to say on thing that is fun about reading the Church Fathers is all of the funny names.
After years in Church, you get used to Hittites and Amalekites and Ephesians. But then you come across St. Ignatius'  letter to the Magnesians - the church at Magnesia which is near Moeander.
Really? Magnesians?
Day 7 is the letter to the Trallians. I am pretty sure there were Trallians on Star Trek.
And then there is Smyrna, which is just fun to say.

But as you look at these names you realize that people lived and died there and a church was born and matured and moved on or died out or perhaps the names changed along the way. What happened to those people with their odd names? Were they faithful in their time?

Ignatius, in his letter to the Magnesians (Chapter 14), asks for prayer for the church in Syria. What a timely request even today when so much is wrong in Syria:
Be mindful of me in your prayers, that I may attain to God; and of the Church which is in Syria, whence I am not worthy to derive my name: for I stand in need of your united prayer in God, and your love, that the Church which is in Syria may be "deemed worthy of being refreshed by your Church.
The themes of these letters are so common: live in humility and harmony, respect those in authority over you, avoid heresy and false teaching, pray and refresh each other.. . . Very much relevant to all the churches I have ever encountered. Will the church of Norman, or Bamako, or Edmond or Colorado Springs or Yaounde be remembered in 1500 years when the names are odd sounding. And if so, for what?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Trauma Patchwork